Flotsam: A Wordless World

Image result for Flotsam David Wiesner
This wordless book was a refreshing experience as a lover of the arts and proponent of letting imaginations roam wild. I found the illustration to be utterly fantastical and the use of perspective in the illustration lends to this feeling. The fantasy world depicted is also grounded in the reality of human objects like sofas or lamps which helps to create a setting in which the mind can roam without feeling overwhelmed. While there is a distinct journey the boy at the beach depicted goes on and, for adult readers, a clear structure to the book, the lack of words and imagination of the book creates space for young readers to tell their own version of the story which is really important for learning how to write in the future.

Overall, I found the crossover between human and animal worlds to be done beautifully and with a level of playfulness that was extremely engaging. I also appreciated the twist at the end with the girl in the photo that created a community of children who know the truth, but really, are just freeing their imaginations. My only critique is that it felt a bit short to me. I highly recommend this book to read with a child before bedtime as a way to get them to make their own stories and gain more visual vocabulary and knowledge.


Title: Flotsam
Author: David Wiesner
Publisher: Clarion Books                                                        
Publication Date: 2006
ISBN: 978-0-618-19457-5
Elly’s Rating: 4/5

Comments

  1. The picture that you added alone makes me want to pick up this book. The art catches the eye right away. I found it very interesting that the author connects human items with animals. It is not something that I expected, so it intrigues me even more to pick it up and look through it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts