Lines: A Lesson in Getting Up

Image result for lines suzy lee
Though minimal in color and detail, I found this wordless book to be absolutely delightful and visually stunning. The lack of abundance on the pages really forces reader to examine the lines that are there and the varying and increasing shapes helps to visually show time, teaching young readers visual literacy. Its also simply gorgeous. I thought that the use of crumpled paper to show frustration and conflict was an incredibly powerful metaphor and one that I think most kids will understand quite well. In the wake of this conflict, readers are alerted to the fact that our protagonist is not alone and, as she escapes her little world of lines in the ice, we see color and detail blossom so effortlessly and gently. In this, with minimal materials, Suzy tells a powerful and beautiful story about conflict resolution and being part of a community. 

The first time I read this book, I thought it was beautiful. The illustration is fresh and modern and exquisite. But, as I read it again, I watched a really strong story unfold slowly. Because it is such a layer story and is wordless, I think it could be a really great tool for parents and teachers to teach conflict resolution, perseverance, and being supported and present. 

Title: Lines 
Author/ Illustrator: Suzy Lee
Publisher: Chronicle Books LLC
Publication Date: 2017
ISBN: 978-1-4521-5665-1
Elly's Rating: 5/5 

Comments

Popular Posts